Knuckleball – it’s a baseball tradition. But the personalities and approach of the knuckleball pitchers themselves tend to be unqiue. Like kickers in football, their approach to the game has to be less traditional in order to do their job. A knuckleball, which is thrown with the fingertips/fingernails and lazily heads to plate with no spin, is the exact opposite of what most pitchers strive to achieve. But for RA Dickey, being different has been the thing that’s made him a game changer.
As the reigning National League Cy Young Award winner and the only current knuckleball pitcher in the major leagues, RA Dickey is in the spotlight every game he pitches. A believer in Jesus, he publically proclaims his faith and is always ready to speak out, which he has done in a variety of ways over the last few years. From writing books, to media interviews, to participating in causes, the Nashville native integrates his faith story into everything he does – something not a lot of professional athletes strive to do.
A Nashville native, RA was introduced to I am Second this year and is part of I am Second’s July baseball emphasis. Why focus on baseball in July? First, it is one of the few times of the year when the sport is solely in the limelight. Secondly, with the baseball All-Star Game (July 16th) broadcast worldwide, players like RA have a platform to share their story with those who may be hard to reach. While some of us may not have the limelight RA Dickey has to tell his story, we are all still different when we live Second. We approach speaking about Jesus differently. We wear the gear to start spiritual conversations in a different way. We let our actions of putting God first be an example to others, simply so they can understand that accepting Second changes everything. And through all of this, even without limelight, we prove as a movement that being different is sometimes the best approach. Can you relate to that?
RA’s story of reaching major league stardom is filled with high moments, setbacks, personal tragedy and triumph, and finally being comfortable with his identity as a player and in Jesus. Later this month you’ll be able to watch his story and be inspired from his journey. Share it with others to start conversations wherever your are.
Keep standing out. This month you can get 10 free wristbands with $30 purchase, or even a free T-shirt with a $30 purchase. All it takes is one person willing to approach something differently to make a difference!
Visit the iamsecondstore and get geared up for July
10 free wristbands with a $30 purchase: I am Second code 5614, Yo Soy Segundo code 5615, and white I am Second code 5616
Free T-shirt with purchase of $30 or more: I am Second t-shirt code 5617 , Yo Soy Segundo t-shirt code 5618
Part of my job here at I am Second is to coordinate volunteers for our transcribing needs. It’s a little bit tedious, but I am encouraged every single time I have a deadline. One post to facebook saying “I need some volunteers” and all of the sudden I have about 100 volunteers ready and willing to help! Something about this campaign makes people want to jump in a get involved. We love that! We love our volunteers and we love seeing people take this ministry and run with it.
Let me give you a little bit of insider information on I am Second. It should never be about “What we’re doing”. Obviously, it’s about Christ. But specifically, it’s defined by I am Second empowering YOU to make disciples. I am Second is only as effective as the people who take it and do something with it—those people who see its potential and they get after it. I want to give you—a reader of this blog, a fan of I am Second, a believer in Christ—a few ideas and opportunities to use I am Second to reach those who need Christ. The holiday season is quickly approaching and there is a lot of buzz around this office with different ways to for YOU to jump in. These range from big to commitment to smaller easier tasks. If half of our fans picked one thing and did it, who knows what kind of movement it could start! So here’s the list:
- Start an I am Second Group – Are you looking for a way to engage your friends in spiritual conversation in a non-threatening way? Our discussion groups will do the trick! I get emails every single day about people wanting to join an I am Second Group, but the truth is, most of the locations they bring up don’t have an I am Second Group yet. That means we need some people to step up and start groups. If you haven’t check out anything about I am Second Groups, or want to know more, visit http://iamsecond.com/getinvolved/GroupTools.html.
- Hope for the Holidays – This is a tool to help you reach out to people that you know are hurting and will be having a tough holiday season. It is a shorter version of a usual I am Second Group and has three lessons focused on different areas of pain. http://iamsecond.com/hope
- Holiday Merchandise – Just in time for Christmas, we have a bunch of holiday gear you can order that will are great conversation starters. Anyone who has a shirt can tell you: I am Second gear opens up so many doors for conversation! Buy something for you, your friends and your family online: http://members.printable.com/theodeeco/iamsecond/
- Post – This week we’ll have two new videos an I am Second video on your facebook page, blog, or twitter account. We have videos posted on both facebook (http://www.facebook.com/iam2nd) and youtube(http://youtube.com/iamsecondhq) to make it extremely easy for you to turn around and post to your profile, or status. Share I am Second with your friends and strike up some conversation. You never know who will be touched!
- Volunteer – There aren’t always opportunities to volunteer at events or transcribing, so that’s why I’m giving you these other options. But if the opportunities do arise, we’d love to have you help us out!
- If you have any other ideas tell us about them! – This is by no means an exhaustive list. If you can think of other ways to share Christ using I am Second, let us know about it!
I’ve listed these in order of potential spiritual impact (which usually has to do with time commitment as well). We would love for all of you to at least try starting an I am Second group if you have the time. It will change you!
So what are you going to do?